Saturday, August 27, 2016

Stuff I Love Summer 2016

Hello friends! It's been a long time since I've done a favorites post, simply because I don't accumulate enough stuff to love within a month. I do love a good favorites post, though, so from here on out I'll be doing seasonal favorites. I'll be keeping track of my loves throughout the season, and write up a post when the season ends, and certainly without specific categories and limits like I had before. So here we go, Stuff I Love Summer 2016.

  • Baking - If you've seen anything consistent on this mess of a blog, it's baking posts. Baking is what I absolutely love to do; I love making people happy and bringing them together over something simply and tasty. My dream is to open a bakery exactly for those reasons, so I'm getting all the practice in that I can before that time comes.

  • Food Network - I'll be the first to call myself out and say I'm more like a 50's housewife than a young millennial. Because I love everything food, Food Network is like my kryptonite. I can't ever get enough; I have it on in the background all the time, I try the recipes, I cook like I'm talking to a camera... It's just the perfect thing for a foodie like me.
  • Dunkin Donuts App - I may have mentioned coffee on here once or twice (or a billion times), and, plain and simple, this app feeds the addict in my like no other. It's a way to pay digitally, so that's good, but I also get points every time I go in and those points get me free drinks. I also always have other perks and rewards waiting for me, so really everybody wins.
  • Iced Coffee - Hey look, more coffee! I went from being a no-coffee-ever girl to a two-to-three-cup-a-day girl in a matter of weeks, so this should be no surprise.

  • Textured Ponytails - Midwest summers are the creation of Lucifer himself. From mid-May to mid-October, it's hot and sticky and buggy and just gross, and there are only so many socially acceptable ways to keep cool while looking nice. Enter textured ponytails to solve all my problems: I put my hair in French braids after I shower at night, and then wake up with insane texture. I do a little poof at the top of my head, pull the rest back, and then tease for volume and spray with sea salt spray to keep that texture. I finish by pulling out some pieces to frame my face, and then I'm good to go. The humidity will never again claim my straight hair as its victim.
  • Harry Potter Weekend - Freeform (formerly ABC Family) does Harry Potter Weekend about four times a year, and I live for it. That said, I'm the biggest baby and can't watch anything after Goblet of Fire because they all give me nightmares, but gosh darn it, I try every time to make it through. It's a life goal. Sad? Nah.
  • Wedges - I'll be starting a Story Time series sharing my embarrassing stories and "Why me?" moments shortly after this goes up, but I'll give a sneak peek here: I'm so ungraceful it pains me. Which means walking in heels is actually a huge hurtle for me. Can't do it. However, wedges are a different story. I love wedges, and summer is definitely wedge season. Added bonus: I'm fairly tall, so wedges make me feel like a giant ready to conquer anything. It doesn't get better than that.
  • Hairspray - No, not the hair product, but the musical. Specifically the 2007 movie version. It's been my summer soundtrack and the thing I watch when I've run out of videos on YouTube and don't want to restart Friends for the zillionth time on Netflix.
  • Summer Dresses - I've never been a dress wearer. Never. Well, maybe before I started dressing myself, but that doesn't count. I've been missing out! I wear them to work all the time, and it's the best thing because dressing for work is the most stressful kind of dressing. I throw it on and I instantly look 1000x more presentable than I did before.

  • Colorado - If you ask anyone I've spoken to in the last few weeks, they will tell you that my favorite thing is Colorado because I just won't shut up about it. I miss is every day, and I've already started scouting out the best place to move there when I'm done with school. If I could go back now, I absolutely would.

  • Name Videos - I have a slight obsession with names. Maybe a bit more than "slight." Like, I have lists and sibling sets and follow Instagram name accounts, but my favorites are YouTube name vloggers. It's just so interesting learning about names and hoping for the future, hearing other people's choices and learning their tastes. I'm hooked.
  • Everything Bagels - Confession time: Until about six months ago, I was convinced that everything bagels are called everything bagels because they're good for everything, toasting, sandwiches, etc. It was only when I said that that my mom looked at me and said, "Are you serious? It's because they put everything on them, like the seeds and the onion and everything." Regardless, I still think they're good for everything, hence I eat them all the time.
Let me know if you have any suggestions on posts you'd like to see in the future, and also be sure to find me on Instagram as streamers.of.consciousness

I wish you all the best,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment