Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sweet Spot: Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

Hello friends! Today I have another recipe I made for dinner a few weeks back. My family is always going in different directions, so quick and easy dinners are our go-to. The problem is, quick and easy can become kind of monotonous. When I saw this on Pinterest, I thought it would be the perfect addition to our recipe arsenal.

The Lineup:
     2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
     1 lb. lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
     Garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper (to taste)
     1/4 cup steak sauce
     1 cup beef stock
     2 tbsp. butter
     2 tbsp. flour
     1 cup 2% milk
     1 cup provolone cheese, shredded (I used provolone & mozzarella)
     1 medium yellow onion, chopped
     1 green bell pepper, chopped
     4 buns or rolls, split in half*

The Play-by-Play:
     1. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large pan. Add ground beef and cook thoroughly, making sure
         meat is crumbled. Season to taste with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and
         pepper.
     2. Add steak sauce and beef stock to ground beef. Bring to a bubble and cook about 2
         minutes.
     3. In a separate saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook about 1 minute until
         thickened.
     4. Slowly whisk in milk to butter and flour, bringing to a bubble.
     5. Stir in cheese, mixing until melted. Remove from heat.
     6. In a small pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil. Add peppers and onions, seasoning with salt and
         pepper to taste, cooking until onions are caramelized.
    *7. To bring sandwiches to the next level, split buns in half, lightly brush with oil, and
         season. Put under oven broiler or grill, watching carefully, until crisp and warm.
     8. Assemble sandwiches. Enjoy!

Quick Play:
The original recipe calls for onions in the ground beef, and has nothing about bell peppers. To keep the sandwiches more like Philly cheesesteaks, I decided to sauté the peppers and onions to top the sandwiches.

*Note: I completely forgot to take pictures of the finished product. The whole process went smoothly until I burnt the buns because they were on the lower rack of my oven (upon which everything burns), and then they spilled into my sink of dirty dishes because my hand was burning through my oven mitt. It was a very eventful 30 seconds, but the sandwiches were still great.

The Playmaker: http://joandsue.blogspot.ca/2012/07/philly-cheesesteak-sloppy-joes.html

I wish you all the best,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment