Sunday, November 1, 2015

All Things Halloween: Tricks, Treats & My Costume

Hello friends! Happy Halloween! Yesterday was the day of fun costumes, tasty treats, and ghouls and goblins galore. Here are the treats I made for a family Halloween party, the tricks my family planned, and my costume. Enjoy!

Treats
Because I'm still at school and going home on the weekends, I needed to shortcut these recipes. Of course, you can tweak these to your liking and do them from scratch (typically I would, but shortcuts work just the same), and there are a million ways to decorate them.

First, I made Creepy Cupcakes. Cake batter is the one thing I can never get right from scratch, so I always need a little help from Betty Crocker or the Pillsbury Dough Boy. I started with these adorable candy corn cupcake liners by Wilton, and filled them with vanilla cake batter. When they were done, I loaded my chocolate frosting into a Ziplock bag with a decorating tip, and iced away. The liners came with these adorable decorative picks, and that's how I topped mine off. You could use red velvet cake to make these extra creepy, but I wanted the designs on the liner to show through.



Next up, I made Ghastly Ghost Cookies. Again, homemade dough is my preference, but I was all about ease this time around. I used Nestle Tollhouse Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (in the refrigerator section) and baked as per usual. When the cookies were cool, I melted some white chocolate and spooned it onto each cookie in a puddle-like shape. I topped each puddle with a marshmallow and attached some Wilton candy eyes with melted semi-sweet chocolate, which I also used to pipe on a mouth. You can use any type of cookie for these, and I also saw online using Whoppers (instead of white chocolate and marshmallows) and making spiders or bats.


 

Tricks
My family loves Halloween, especially my uncle. He turns their house into a graveyard/haunted mansion deal every year, and always invites us over to check out his months of work. It was creepy to say the least.

My Costume
I'm not the type to dress up in the gore (or teeny tiny outfits) typical of Halloween, so finding a costume is usually a challenge. This year, I decided to combine one of the makeup trends of the season with a classic character, and came up with comic book Superwoman. I did the pop art makeup, curled my hair, and made a tee shirt with the logo. After that, it was super easy: all I needed were red pants (I had some red jeggings), a gold belt, and a cape (I got mine for $7 at Party City). Typically Superwoman wears patent red stiletto boots, but I didn't have those and certainly wasn't going to buy them, so I opted for some white tennis shoes. I also layered my tee shirt over a white thermal because it was quite chilly out.

 


I wish you all the best,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment