Friday, September 23, 2016

Sweet Spot: Twice Baked Taco Potatoes

Hello friends! I was recently scouring Pinterest for new dinner ideas, and a recipe for taco-topped baked potatoes caught my eye. I decided to take it one step further and double bake them, and it was a total success. I thought I'd share this new creation with you, because it's really just too good to keep to myself.

The Lineup:
     4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed clean
     Olive oil (about 4 tsp)
      Salt & pepper
     1 lb. ground turkey (ground beef works just as well)
     1 packet taco seasoning
     4 tbsp butter
     9 scallions, chopped (I like the green tops, but use what you like)
     Mexican blend shredded cheese (no measurement, it's whatever looks good to you)
     Additional taco toppings (guacamole, sour cream, salsa, lettuce, tortilla chips, etc.)

The Play-by-Play:
     1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. After cleaning the potatoes, poke
         holes in them with a fork to release steam.
     2. Place each potato on a large square of tin foil (I did this on my kitchen table so I
         could spread them out and do them all at once), and drizzle about 1 tsp of olive oil
         on each. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper, then rub oil and seasonings into skin,
         just until coated. Snugly wrap each potato in the foil and place on a baking tray (I
         also lined this with foil to save time later). Bake about 1 hour (this will depend on
         the size of your potatoes, so just make sure they're soft to the touch before taking
         them out).
     3. While the potatoes are baking, fully cook and crumble your ground turkey. Once
         cooked, prepare with the taco seasoning as directed. Once done, turn off heat and
         cover.
     4. Allow potatoes to cool in the foil about 5 minutes, then carefully remove foil and
         place potatoes on foil-lined baking tray (I lined the same one I baked the potatoes
         on) and cool another 5 minutes. Carefully cut each potato in half lengthwise and
         face up on the tray.
     5. In a large bowl, place butter, scallions, salt, and pepper. Carefully scoop out the
         insides of the potatoes, leaving a small amount in tact to hold the shape, and place
         the rest in the bowl, which will melt the butter. Mash up until smooth, and refill
         the potato skins with the mash, smoothing out the tops.
     6. Scoop taco meat (about 1/4-1/3 cup each) onto the potatoes, and top with
         shredded cheese. Place back in the oven until cheese is melted.
     7. Serve and top with additional toppings. Enjoy!


I wish you all the best,
Erin
    

No comments:

Post a Comment