Sunday, December 18, 2016

Sense of Self

Hello friends! This week's post was inspired by a series I watch on YouTube called "Sense of Self." If you're not familiar, it's a series Ingrid Nilsen does where she goes to people's houses and asks them to share something that evokes each of their five senses. I love learning about people and I think the things they pick are interesting ways to get to know them, so I thought I'd do my own "Sense of Self."

Sight - For sight, I'm choosing my scrapbooks. I love making something that is exactly how
          I want it, and of course, I love looking back at the memories made. This picture is
          of the scrapbook I'm working on at the moment, which is a whole book dedicated to
          my Colorado trip, which has been my favorite trip I've ever taken.

Smell - For smell, I have to share my Bath & Body Works Cinnamon Sugared Donut candle.
           I'm the kind of person who associates smells with memories, and to me, this candle
           smells like fall days spent at pumpkin patches with my family, where we would
           stop at the little stand with the cinnamon roasted almonds before we went home.

Sound - My sound object is not the typical pick for this category; most people would pick
            a song or a record player, maybe a music box, but I'm picking the floors of my
            house. I've lived in this house my whole life, and the creaks the floors make are
            the most familiar sounds I know. I can walk through this house with my eyes
            closed and still know exactly where I am by what the sound of the floor is.

Taste - Thanksgiving at my house is a big deal; we go all-out with more food than you can
           imagine, and some of the dishes aren't your typical Thanksgiving food. My favorite
           of these is "Thanksgiving rice," with is rice with bacon and onions. It's the most
           simple thing, but it tastes like home, and I think everyone should have a food that
           takes them back home, no matter how far they may be.

Touch - My touch object is more of a collection of things. I'm choosing my Christmas tree
            and all of its decorations, from garland to skirt to ornaments. We have a fake tree
            because some of us have allergies, so the feeling of the fake needles of the tree
            is so familiar, as are the textures of the ornaments and the cushiness of the tree
            skirt. Christmas is my favorite holiday, and I love that I have things that are so
            familiar that make that time of year feel really nostalgic and homey.



I wish you all the best,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment